3.14.2011

Stick a fork in me...

I am so done.



Seriously, it's been what, three weeks since I've checked in? Jeez. So not normal for me, and so not what a "serious" blogger does, right? Right. Consider my wrist slapped. Although, part of the reason I haven't been around much is that my wrists just haven't been working properly. Or at least for long periods of time. Not to mention my knees, elbows, and ankles. We're not even going to talk about my knuckles. And this has been my usual position the last couple of weeks...

Though I don't talk about it very much, I have rheumatoid arthritis throughout my entire body, and while I've been relatively symptom-free for the last several years, I have recently been pummeled my the RA gods, and it makes getting off my ass and even harder than usual. Anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes with me knows how poppy I am - my elbows, knees, neck, knuckles, and even my chest pops all day long, with absolutely no effort. It's creeeepy.

I was diagnosed with RA when I was 13, and I am also hyperextensive in all of my joints as well, which means that I'm SUPER flexible. Sounds good, but it basically means that I sprain things very easily and then on top of that, my ligaments don't shrink back like they're supposed to. SOOOO when I sprain anything I have to have surgery to fix it. It's a wonderful combination of holy shit and no friggin' way, that adds up to me being very careful where I step. But like I said, the last eight or so years have been pretty good.

So why all of a sudden? I just recently started seeing a new doctor (thanks honey, for having insurance that covers me!!) and she changed my birth control pill. I've taken the same one for almost eight years with no problems, so making this change was a little worrisome, but I had no idea how much it really matters that you find the right one for you!! Literally the day after I made the switch I started having baaad joint pain. The weather was yucky though, so I thought maybe I'm just having a bad day. At day 12, I figured, okay, this isn't normal. So I did some research.

Did you know that women who use birth control are 47% less likely to get arthritis? And that women who have arthritis can help control symptoms by taking birth control? Yeah, I didn't either. Thanks, all past doctors for not letting me in on this little tidbit... Many women who have RA have a total remission during pregnancy, too.

Lesson? Be more assertive when the doc says they're changing your meds. When you find something that works, don't change it!

On to other, far better things!

Since clicking isn't painful, I've found that I've spent way too much time online. Have you heard of Pinterest? It's only the most addictive thing on Earth! I have recently started using it, and I can't seem to stop!



Check it out. Need an invite? Email me. You'll regret it immediately. It's a black hole from which there is no return...

That's all for now. Dinner isn't gonna make itself, people!

4 comments:

Dara Lynn said...

RA is no laughing matter, and you are right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it is my motto. I just wonder...if it works for degenerative disc disease??? facing back surgery because of it in the next couple of months...boy am I gonna miss you and all my scrappin blogs during those first few weeks. Pin it??? Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I've got RA too ... it is the worst in my hands and knees though. I actually get a kick out of my creaks and pops! Mostly because of the looks I get from people. I can't even imagine what you go through. You are a very strong person! I wonder if, when my Doc gets me on a bcp that works for me, my RA will settle down? I take some supplements that help big time, but it would also help more if it were in remission!

What is Pinterest?? The image looks intriguing ... does a person need to have an invite to try it out? My contact info is on my Blogger Profile - would you mind sending me info about it? Or even just a comment back on my blog? Thanks!

beckyjune said...

I have missed you, Britt, and hope that things get back to whatever normal is for you.

Sandy Ang said...

Poor Britt. I agree that when something works (but it medication or a boyfriend), don't change it. Missed you at the blog hop and hope you are better now. cheers from a fellow pin interest addict